Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Welcome to the Neighborhood

From 2/12, Sorry internet is few and far between.

Woooow. Wooooooooow. Wooooooooooooooow. I think that pretty much sums up the breathtaking experiences that have occurred so far. It’s really starting to hit home that I am actually here and going to be here for some time. Just got out of training for the day and so glad it’s Friday. Tomorrow we only have language training in the morning. I placed out of Spanish training for the most part based on an interview we had although we all will continue to practice Spanish and get better via technical training and daily living in our community. The focus has become Guaraní. A language unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Sometimes I feel like I’m in kindergarten trying to understand and repeat phrases. Mbaiechapa. Meaning how are you. Ipora. Meaning I am well. Also the pronunciation is often not how it’s spelled! So much information and customs and ideas are being thrown my way and I’m just trying my best to be as much of a sponge as possible. I will say it has truly been great being around the other volunteers. No more wow you are doing the Peace Corps or why? Just people who have similar passions as you, each bringing their unique life experiences, crossing paths and working to do something meaningful. My chances to use the internet are few and far between, although I will be trying to go to other volunteers houses who have internet. I am getting quite accustomed to cold showers. In this heat they can be my saving grace. In the morning when it is a lot more cool I simply keep whispering to myself “don’t be soft” hahaha. I’d say we take about 3 showers a day simply because of the heat and sweating. Paraguayans have an acute sense of smell, cleanliness is truly next to Godliness. I’ve gotten to know a bunch of the kids in my neighborhood. A bunch of the volunteers live in homestays with younger kids. I am headed I about a half hour to play soccer with an eleven and thirteen year old I know, we may even play basketball! Yesterday the host sister of one the volunteers took us to centro, the main part of town along with her friend who studies at the university. They were really sweet and funny. I think they were pretty entertained by my one liners in Spanish like “peligroso es mi nombre medio.” Or asking them about all the boys they were waving to and if they were amigos con beneficios. They even promised to take me and some of the other volunteers out dancing this weekend for a night on the town. The Paraguayan ladies are very attractive. I will also say they are much more mature for their age. 16 year olds come across like college kids in the states and my host sister who is 22 has a vibe like shes in her 30s. I think one of the most touching parts so far has just been the general conversation I have with my host family. Each day we sit down several times a day and drink terere which is this Paraguayan type of cold tea that is beyond ritual and pretty much a lifestyle. You pour cold water into a special cup called a guampa mixed with yerba mate and other types of leaves (yuyos) that you smash up. You then pass it around in a circle drinking it for an hour or so at a time. Some people drink it continuously all day. As volunteers we have already picked up the habit in language classes. It is stimulating w/not too much caffeine and helps you with energy and what not. One of my favorite parts of the day is after dinner when we bring chairs out onto the patio and just chill outside talking about life, telling jokes and exchanging stories. We talk with the neighbors who are outdoors as well and us volunteers go from patio to patio joking and conversing w/everyone. Community is alive and well here. Everyone knows each other and looks out for one another. Everyone comes to my spot to check out the newborn baby. It’s crazy to have a baby around all the time. A nice reminder of the beauty of life and the short time we have here. I will say in my short time here, that the lifestyle is very seductive, especially for all the romantic idealists like myself. It is a shame we don’t know this kind of peace a lot of times in the states. Currently sipping on some mango juice, bread with a guayava spread, pondering how to provide sustainable change. What could be better….Well that’s all for now gotta eat this snack and go show em my skills on the soccer field/bball court! O and btw, in case you didn’t know, I love it here.

No comments: